- Community Fitness Program (Museum of Science and Industry) Join the UChicago Urban Health Initiative for this free fitness program! In existence more than 21 years at the Museum of Science and Industry, this program is designed to encourage healthy fitness habits and to help seniors integrate a regular exercise program into their health routines. For more information about the program and the weekly schedule, please visit http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_011250.pdf
- Community Health Focus Hour (Weekly on WVON Radio) The Community Health Focus Hour is a weekly WVON radio broadcast series that focuses on specific health topics that impact the community. The series is led by University of Chicago Medicine faculty and features guests from the community. Listeners have the opportunity to call-in and ask questions of guests and also participate in the program on social media. To listen to previous episodes, visit https://soundcloud.com/niversityofhicagosommunityealthocusour
- Shop Right, Save-a-lot, and Be Healthy Grocery Store Tours If you are trying to eat right, especially with diabetes, you know it’s key to shop right. Join in on the tour and learn how to make quick, healthy, and affordable food choices the next time you grocery shop for you and your family! You must register in advance for this FREE program brought to you by the South Side Diabetes Project at the University of Chicago. See more for dates and locations
- 61st Street Farmer’s Market Tours (Chicago, IL) A friendly and informative tour of the 61st Street Farmer’s Market. Learn tips on building a balanced meal with the fresh produce available at the 61st Street Farmer’s Market. We’ll tour the vendor booths with fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, meats, dairy, and more. Our health educators will teach you how to portion meals on your plate, and set goals to help you and your family make healthy choices. Tours begin at the South SIde Diabetes table. Tours fill up fast so registering in advance is recommended: 773-702-2939. See more for dates and details
- Kovler Diabetes Center’s Diabetes Education Classes Our diabetes education class is group discussion about the basics of diabetes, the benefits and importance of blood glucose monitoring, the A1c test and what it means, diabetes medicines, general meal planning and preventing long-term complications. Patients must have a referral from any of their University of Chicago physicians in order to register for the classes. For questions or to enroll please call 773.702.2371.
- Ingalls Wellness Center Diabetes Forum: This FREE, monthly forum from the Ingalls Outpatient Diabetes Management Center provides education and support for people with diabetes. Guest speakers will provide education on all aspects of diabetes care and topics will include healthy eating, physical activity, medication management and behavior modification. Family members and caregivers are also encouraged to attend sessions. The group meets on the last Monday of each month from 6:00 – 7:00 PM at the Ingalls Flossmoor Family Care Center – 1st floor conference room, 19550 Governors Hwy, Flossmoor IL 60422. Register by calling 708.915.8850 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.