Associate Professor of Surgery
Director, Minimally Invasive Surgery
Dr. Prachand is an expert in minimally invasive abdominal surgery. He is skilled at the most advanced laparoscopic procedures, and performs more than 200 laparoscopic abdominal surgeries each year. One of his special interests is minimally invasive obesity surgery. In addition to performing the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy procedures, he was the first surgeon in the Midwest to perform a totally laparoscopic biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. Dr. Prachand is one of a handful of surgeons worldwide who regularly performs the laparoscopic duodenal switch for super-obese and super-super-obese patients. He has performed this complex procedure in more than 300 patients.
Dr. Prachand is an approved surgeon in the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery’s Centers of Excellence program. He also serves as an instructor and proctor for advanced bariatric surgery training programs.
- Minimally invasive abdominal surgery
- Minimally invasive weight loss (bariatric) surgery
- Minimally invasive esophageal surgery
- Weight loss surgery
- Gastric surgery
- Surgical disorders of the spleen
- Esophageal surgery
- Hiatal/paraesophageal hernia
- Laparoscopic pancreatic surgery
- MD, Northwestern University Medical School
- Internship and Residency, Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Fellowship, Glasgow Royal Infirmary (Scotland)