Welcome to the UChicago Medicine Kovler Diabetes Center. Founded in 2006 with seed funding from Jonathan and Sally Kovler, Kovler is a comprehensive center for innovative diabetes research and unparalleled patient care.
Our mission at the Kovler Diabetes Center is to provide holistic treatment, care and education that empowers our patients to effectively manage their diabetes for a lifetime. We pursue this mission through four pillars:
Our researchers make breakthrough discoveries that help physicians and scientists around the world better understand diabetes, its causes and its genetic foundation. These discoveries can be applied to measurably improve the quality of life for diabetes patients.
- Clinical Care
Each diabetes patient is different. This shapes our approach to patient care at Kovler. Accurate and complete diagnosis, including genetic testing, is the foundation for our highly individualized treatment plans. Our multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, educators and staff works to address the many ways that diabetes can affect each patient’s physical and emotional well-being.
At Kovler, we provide diabetes education for both professionals and patients. The best and brightest graduate students, fellows and doctors from around the globe come to collaborate with our researchers and clinicians. Research experiences include a strong clinical care component to connect lab discoveries to enhanced patient care. Our diabetes educators equip patients with the knowledge and understanding they need to most effectively manage their condition.
Our faculty, staff and active Leadership Board help Kovler stay connected to the greater Chicago community. Our partnerships with local organizations aim to enhance the health of the overall community and improve outcomes.
What We Do
- Accurate Diagnosis
- Genetic testing
- Comprehensive patient treatment and care
- Patient education
- Second opinions
- Physician consultations
- Basic and Translational Research
- Clinical Research
- Professional education
Why the Kovler Diabetes Center
Our approach at Kovler distinguishes us as a globally renowned research hub and a treatment center of choice. We are…
- Focused. Diabetes is all we do.
- Patient centered. We empower our patients through treatment, education and specialist access. The patient is our highest priority.
- Comprehensive. Kovler encompasses research, patient care, professional training, and patient education.
- Science based. Evidence is the foundation of our treatment protocol. We focus on applied research to enhance patient care.
- Multidisciplinary. Our team of specialists and educators addresses the full range of patient needs, from the physical to the social and emotional.