Diabetes Education Classes
Kovler offers diabetes education classes for all University of Chicago Medicine adult patients with type 2 diabetes. In these classes patients will review the basics of diabetes management and have the opportunity to ask and discuss individual questions with our Certified Diabetes Educators. Class costs can be billed to your insurance (including Medicare or Medicaid).
Time: 1-3pm on Thursdays
Location: University of Chicago Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) Suite 5A in the Jim Tyree Diabetes Education Library
Parking: Valet parking is available
To register, please ask any of your University of Chicago physicians for a referral. Once you have obtained a referral please email us or call 773-702-2371, select option 1, and ask to sign up for the “diabetes education class.”
Not sure when you should be getting diabetes education? Click here to view our algorithm of care, which shows when we recommend patients meet with a diabetes educator.
Kovler Program Guides
Kovler offers comprehensive guides to its patient programs that include more information about the Kovler Diabetes Center, overviews of our programs, introductions to the Kovler team, lists of local resources, and more.
Our program guides include:
- Kovler for Kids Program Guide, for our young patients and their caretakers (includes information about the InTransit program for Teens and Young adults)
- Adult Program Guide, for our adult patients and their caretakers
The Jim Tyree Diabetes Education Library
The Jim Tyree Diabetes Education Library at the University of Chicago provides our patients with additional resources they may need beyond the clinic. Although designed with Kovler Diabetes Center patients in mind, the library is open to all University of Chicago Medicine patients. Physicians and staff are also welcome.
Technological resources in the library include:
- An interactive touch-screen monitor that allows visitors to explore the wide range of resources available through the Kovler website
- A computer workstation with access to websites and Certified Diabetes Educator-approved tutorials
- Printer access for patients who may not have internet access at home, so they may print out any relevant materials to take with them
- A large plasma screen that can display educational videos, teleconference with professionals, or be used as an aid for diabetes education classes
- Plasma screens in diabetes education rooms that can display lab results, show patient tutorials and more
Other helpful resources in the library:
- A Kovler team member onsite to help direct patients to resources tailored to their needs
- An extensive collection of booklets, heath guides and cookbooks on a wide variety of topics including carb counting, foot care and diabetes-friendly vegetarian cooking
- A selection of diabetes books and activities for kids
- Constructive activities to engage patients both before and after appointments
- Access to valuable information for research and improvement measures
The Library is located at University of Chicago Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM), 5758 S. Maryland Ave., 5th Floor Endocrinology Clinic.
FREE Community Resources Directory
Kovler’s free Community Resources Directory includes a wide range of helpful local resources for patients with diabetes and their families. You’ll find information about diabetes care resources, services to address diabetes-related complications, physical fitness and nutritional resources, social services, medical supply stores and so much more. View or download our Directory.